Nikon has officially launched the anticipated D6, its flagship DSLR camera for professional photographers.
Front view of the Nikon D6 with no lens fitted. (Source: Nikon.)
Equipped with a 20.8-megapixel FX-Format CMOS sensor and new EXPEED 6 processor, the D6 is ideal for the world of sports and photojournalism, thanks to its powerful all-selectable, all cross point, 105-point autofocus system. With a mechanical shutter frame rate boosted to approximately 14 fps for high speed continuous shooting and fast, versatile connectivity options, this camera is ideal for capturing action. Precise tracking enables photographers to effectively focus on a desired subject without changing composition. Promising unparalleled low-light performance, powerful agility, advanced 4K UHD multimedia capabilities and completely silent shooting for sensitive situations, the D6 is the most customisable Nikon DSLR to date.
Top and rear views of the new Nikon D6. (Source: Nikon.)
The new camera also delivers crucial improvements to modern workflow while also accelerating file transfer capabilities. Nikon’s press release lists the following improvements:
- Recall shooting functions create combinations of settings that can be assigned to a specific button to get the perfect shot in a pinch
- The D6 excels in connectivity and supports the same 1000BASE-T Ethernet standard as the D5, with an approximate 15% increase in transmission speed. The camera also supports a number of options for wireless networking, offering built-in 2.4- and 5-GHz3 Wi-Fi4 or traditional wireless transfer using the WT-6 Wireless Transmitter (optional)
- Includes 14 customisable buttons, assignable to any of 46 unique function choices and a new intuitive menu system
- Priority Image Transfer gives the ability to move an important image to the front of the queue when speed is of paramount priority, which can easily be done by swiping the touch LCD during playback
- Security Lock compatibility supports connection of anti-theft cables to provide maximum security for remote applications or when the camera is unattended
- Built in GPS gives accurate time, date and location information for just about anywhere on the planet
- Dual CFexpress slots offer blazing fast read/write times and have the ability to overflow, copy or separate file types
- JPEG functions allow for the simultaneous recording of two JPEG images with different image size and quality settings, which is convenient for separating images that will be transmitted from those that will be edited
- Creativity options for multimedia creators including a new interval timer mode to retain the best resolution and enable in-camera time-lapse movie file recording providing professionals the ability to create exceptionally sharp 16:9 4K Ultra HD video.
The new D6 will be available from March. Click here for more information.