Olympus has released details of its latest flagship PEN interchangeable-lens camera, the PEN E-P5, along with a new electronic viewfinder and changes to three popular prime lenses.
The PEN E-P5 shown in silver and black versions, the former fitted with the 17mm f/1.8 lens and VF-4 viewfinder. (Source: Olympus.)
Equipped with the same 16-megapixel image sensor and processor chips as the OM-D E-M5, the new camera has a solid metal body and is the first PEN camera with integrated Wi-Fi support. Highlights of the new camera are summarised below:
– 16 megapixel LiveMos image sensor [ISO LOW(100) ““ 25600]
– TruePic VI advanced image processor
– World’s fastest shutter speed in a compact system camera of 1/8000 second plus 0.5 second start-up speed
– Fast autofocus speed using FAST-AF technology with super spot focusing
– WiFi built-in with advanced wireless LiveView and wireless Touch Shooting capability with dedicated iOS and Android app (O.I. Share v2.0)
– Advanced 5-axis Image Stabilisation built into the camera (max. -5EV stabilisation; stills and video; stabilised Live View; automatic panning detection)
– Full HD video with Multi-motion image stabilisation (broadcast quality)
– 3-inch tilting LCD with 1.04 million pixel resolution
– 9 frames per second shooting speed
– Focus Peaking assistance for manual focusing
– Spot Autofocus adjustability (up to 1/70th of diagonal screen length)
– Photo Story in-camera photo-montaging
– Time lapse feature with automatic time-lapse movie creation
– Compatible with up to 58 Micro Four Thirds lenses (13 from Olympus)
The new camera is scheduled for release in July and will be offered as a body-only option (unlike its predecessor, the E-P3) as well as several kits with bundled lenses and the new VF-4 electronic viewfinder. The detachable EVF is available as an optional accessory. It features 2.36 megapixel resolution and 1.48x magnification. A detailed ‘First Look’ at the Olympus PEN E-P5 and EVF can be found here.
Announced concurrently with the E-P5 and VF-4 is the intention to release black versions of three of the most popular Olympus prime lenses: the 17mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8 and 75mm f/1.8. This will enable buyers to choose lenses to match the black body versions of the E-P5 and OM-D E-M5 cameras.
The black versions of the 17mm f/1.8, 45mm f/1.8 and 75mm f/1.8 lenses. (Source: Olympus.)
A suite of ‘premium’, hand-stitched leather accessories will also be available for the PEN E-P5, including a neck strap, camera case and shoulder bag that can accommodate the camera plus several lenses and other items.
The new ‘premium’, leather camera bag that will be offered for the PEN E-P5. (Source: Olympus.)
Details of the new products will be posted on Olympus websites worldwide, along with pricing information when it becomes available.
FOOTNOTE: Several US-based online re-sellers have the PEN E-P5 listed for pre-ordering for US$999.99 for the camera body or US$1449.99 for the body plus 17mm f/1.8 lens and VF-4 viewfinder. The VF-4 is listed at US$279.