Tamron has just announced the impending arrival of its 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD (Model A034) lens and the development of a new Sony E Mount 28-75mm lens.
Angled view of the new Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD lens. (Source: Tamron.)
The new 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD lens has been designed for full-frame DSLR cameras and offers a maximum magnification ratio of 1:3.1, claimed as the highest in its class. The design includes an internal zoom mechanism that provides solid mechanical construction and stable, reliable operation. Model A034’s AF drive system uses a USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) ring-type ultrasonic motor plus a Dual MPU (Micro-Processing Unit) design thatenables fast and accurate autofocusing, while the powerful VC (Vibration Compensation) image stabilisation system claims shake correction of up to four f-stops.
The optical design of the lens features 20 elements in 14 groups and includes three LD (Low Dispersion) lens elements to compensate for axial and transverse chromatic aberrations. The constant f/4 maximum aperture provides superior control over depth-of-field and excellent bokeh. The new lens features moisture-resistant construction plus a fluorine coating on the front element to repel dust and moisture. Compared to large aperture telephoto zoom lenses, the new A034 is lighter with a weight of 850 grams and more compact with a total length of only 174 mm. It claims a class-leading minimum object distance of 95 cm.
The new lens is also compatible with the TELE CONVERTER 1.4x (Model TC-X14) and TELE CONVERTER 2.0x (Model TC-X20), which increase the focal length of the lens to 1.4 times and 2 times, respectively. It is also compatible with the optional TAMRON TAP-in Console. An Arca-Swiss style tripod mount is available as an optional accessory. The Nikon mount is due to launch on April 2 2018 with the Canon mount not far behind, launching on April 26. Click here to visit the Tamron website for more information.
Side view of the new 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD lens for Sony E-mount cameras. (Source: Tamron.)
Tamron has also announced the development of a high-speed standard zoom lens for Sony’s mirrorless cameras with 35mm full-frame sensors. The new 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD (Model A036) lens is expected to become available mid-year. Full specifications have yet to be released but Tamron has provided the following summary of key features of the new lens:
1. Superb optical performance, including both outstanding image quality and beautiful background blur effects (bokeh), provided by fast f/2.8 aperture.
2. Comfortably light weight (550 grams) and compact (117.8 mm).
3. Close-focusing; Minimum Object Distance: 0.19 m at wide-angle setting and 0.39 m at the telephoto position.
4. All-new “RXD” stepping motor AF unit is extremely quiet and therefore perfect for video capture.
5. Exciting next-generation design keeping the brand consistency that is ergonomically superb.
6. Moisture-Resistant Construction and Fluorine Coating for weather protection.
7. Compatible with the “Direct Manual Focus (DMF)” feature that enables Sony cameras to instantly switch between autofocus and manual focus.