Panasonic has announced the release of firmware update programs on 24 November 2020 for its Lumix DC-S1H, S1R, S1 and S5 and DC-G100 mirrorless cameras.
The new firmware for the DC-S1H (Ver.2.2), S1R (Ver.1.6), S1 (Ver.1.6) and S5 (Ver.2.0) full-frame mirrorless cameras will offer the following enhancements:
1. The AF improvements introduced with the S5 will be available on the S1R, S1H and S1 for both video recording and still shooting. In addition to the eye, face and body, the head is also separately recognised by real-time detection technology to provide even more precise focusing. The camera keeps tracking subjects when they move quickly, turn away, tilt their head or move far away from the camera. Also, improvements to DFD technology have enhanced AFC, which allows the camera to keep tracking small or fast-moving subjects.
2. Human/Animal recognition can be set ON or OFF when the AF mode is set to [1-Area] or [1-Area+] with all four cameras.
3. [AF+MF] can be used during video recording with all four cameras.
4. Recognition performance during video recording in V-Log has been improved in the S1H S1 and S5.
5. [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added. (S1R S1 S5)
6. [Red REC Frame Indicator] is available. (S1R S1)
7. It is possible to play back vertical videos vertically. (S1H S1R S1)
8. 4K video files can be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi. (S1H S1R S1)
9. [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] enables to reverse or not to reverse the monitor image when the free-angle monitor is rotated. (S1H S5)
The S1R update will also include:
1. 5K (4992×3744) video recording in MOV is available.
2. [Like 2100(HLG)] has been added in [Photo Style] to support 10-bit HDR video recording.
3. High-Resolution audio recording using an XLR Microphone Adaptor DMW-XLR1 is available and it can be controlled with [XLR Mic Adaptor Setting] menu for MOV files only.
4. [Luminance Level] function supports the 10-bit mode.
5. 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI is supported.
The S5 update will also add the ability to record C4K (4096 x 2160) movies in MOV format plus support for [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW Video Data output over HDMI and Apple ProRes RAW recording on Atomos NINJA V devices. It will also be possible to display a Vector Scope; a [Master Pedestal Level] function has been added and [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] have been added to the Photo Style options.
Firmware Version 1.1 for the DC-G100 will add compatibility with LUMIX Webcam Software (Beta) plus a [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] function that enables users to reverse or not to reverse the monitor image when the free-angle monitor is rotated.
The Lumix S1 will continue to be updated through Firmware Version 2.0, which will be released in the first half of 2021. It will allow . [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI, thus, the RAW video data can be recorded on Atomos Ninja V. It will also add support for 5.9K/C4K internal video recording, 4K60p/50p 4:2:0 10bit recording as well as Anamorphic mode and Time code plus manual setting of Dual Native ISO. A Software Upgrade Key DMW-SFU2 (sold separately) will be required for some functions.
The new firmware will be available to download through the support page for each camera.