New firmware adds support for CFExpress Type B cards to Nikon’s D5, D850 and D500 cameras, giving them access to higher storage capacities.
As well as support for CFExpress Type B cards, Firmware Version 1.40 for the Nikon D5 provides the following improvements and fixes:
1. Users can now choose the band (2.4 or 5 GHz) for the host SSID when connecting to wireless networks via a WT-6 or WT-5 wireless transmitter attached to the camera. The band is listed in Connection Wizard network-selection dialog and post-connection in the Network display.
2. Fixed an issue that prevented normal shutter release and caused an error to be displayed if all the following conditions were met during shooting in photo live view:
– A Type E lens and a flash unit such as the SB-5000 were attached.
– A shutter speed of 1/500 s or faster was selected with Auto FP High-Speed Sync enabled.
– Single frame was selected for release mode, or self_time (Self-timer mode) was selected with the number of shots for Custom Setting c3 (Self-timer) set to 1.
Click here to access the support page to download the new firmware.
Firmware Version 1.20 for the Nikon D850 provides the following additional enhancements:
1. Changed the default for Custom Setting b6 Center-weighted area from ⌀8 mm to ⌀12 mm.
2. Fixed the following issues:
– When shooting with the lens aperture ring rotated to maximum aperture on a non-CPU lens for which lens data had been supplied via Non-CPU lens data in the SETUP MENU, the camera would sometimes fail to display the correct aperture value in the monitor or record it to the Exif aperture value field for photographs taken with On (Mode 2) selected for Silent live view photography in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU.
– When movie live view was output to an external recorder via HDMI, the R and L volume indicators in the camera monitor would show the reverse of the indicators for the HDMI device.
– A portion of the display would dim during silent photography if all the following conditions were met:
▹ On (Mode 1) selected for Silent live view photography in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
▹ Continuous low speed (CL) selected for release mode
▹ 2 fps selected for Custom Setting d1 CL mode shooting speed in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
– When a VR lens was attached, the camera would stop responding if all the following conditions were met:
▹ Photo live view enabled
▹ Shutter speed set to 1.3 s or slower
▹ On selected for Long exposure NR in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
▹ On (series) or On (single photo) selected for HDR (high dynamic range) > HDR mode in the PHOTO SHOOTING MENU
▹ ON selected with the lens VR switch
The new firmware for the D850 is available to download here.
Firmware Version 1.30 for the Nikon D500 adds a fix for an issue that caused both the Entire frame and Background only options for Custom Setting e3 Exposure comp. for flash in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU to produce the same results as Entire frame during flash photography. Click here to access the new firmware for this camera.