New firmware, developed in collaboration with Atomos, will improve the capabilities of the Panasonic Lumix S1H camera for professional cinematographers.
Lumix S1H Firmware Version 2.0 will enable the camera to output video at up to 5.9K/29.97p and support 4K/59.94p RAW video data recording over HDMI to save it in the Apple ProRes RAW codec on the Atomos Ninja V 4K HDR monitor-recorder. In addition, the update also offers Super 35mm Anamorphic 4:3 at 3.5K resolution which is a standard for filmmakers in production.
The new features are summarised below.
- RAW video data output over HDMI
• [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI. Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos Ninja V.
• V-Log or Rec.709 is selectable on Live View monitor during RAW output.
- Shooting assist functions including WFM (Wave Form Monitor), Vector Scope, Luminance Spot Meter, Zebra Pattern can be used during RAW output.
|Area||Resolution||Frame Rate||Aspect||HDMI Output|
|Super 35mm||4K (4128×2176)||59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||17:9||12-bit|
|Super 35mm Anamorphic||3.5K (3536×2656)||50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||4:3||12-bit|
- Enhanced video functions / improved performance
- Downconverted output over HDMI during [6K]/[5.9K]/[5.4K] video recording is available.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to disable the shutter button so it does not start/stop video recording when pressed.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to set [Rec Quality(My List)] from the control panel.
- The value of noise reduction in [V-Log] in Photo Style has been expanded to [-1]. It suppresses afterimages that previously occurred in some situations.
- It is possible to prevent the enlarged view window of MF Assist from being output over HDMI.
- There were cases where colour banding appeared in 4:2:0/10-bit video recording in some situations. This bug has been minimised.
- There were cases where the REC RUN time code did not count up when video was recorded on an external device over HDMI. This bug has been fixed
Other added functions / improvements
- It is possible to set [AF+MF] in AFC mode.
- It is possible to assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S. (S-E70200) is mounted.
- It is possible to assign functions to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses.
- When attaching a lens using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabiliser] > [Lens] is set to ON, Body I.S. (Image Stabiliser) suppresses roll movement.
- [Backlight Illumination Period] has been added to the Status LCD menu. [ON1] prevents the LCD backlight from being turned off.
- It is possible to select the preferred card slot when saving JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing.
- [0.5 SEC] has been added as an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
- [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button. It disables operation when the button is long-pressed.
- Fn button can be depressed to enable depth of field preview (aperture effect).
- To prevent improper operation, touch-control is disabled for [Delete All] operation in playback mode. Only cursor buttons can be used for [Delete All] operation.
- There were rare cases where the camera froze during [Segmented File Recording] or during recording at 400 Mbps under a particular set of conditions including the type of SD Card used. This phenomenon has been improved.
- Aperture and shutter speed can be controlled using front/rear dials when the rear monitor is set to OFF.
- There were cases where F-stop value control failed depending on the maximum F value when a non-Panasonic L-Mount lens was used. This bug has been fixed.
The free firmware will be available at the Lumix Global Customer Support website on May 25, 2020.