Samsung has issued a firmware update for its NX500 mirrorless camera, providing improvements to still and movie performance and capabilities.
The new Firmware v. 1.10 provides the following improvements for still image capture:
Autofocusing enhancements cover improvements to performance in low light conditions and with backlighting and spot lighting. AF performance in the corners of the frame is improved when shooting with the 16-50mm PZ lens. Face Detection AF performance is also improved. A new ‘Zone AF’ mode has been added to the AF area selections and the AF Area Size options have been expanded to five steps. The Face Detection Area of the sensor has also been increased.
The new firmware also adds the four most popular Pro Suggest presets: Cinematic, Memories, Gorgeous night and High Speed as well as a ‘Selfie as Flipped’ mode which flips the image to capture it as in the preview. Continuous AF has been set as the default in the ‘Selfie Timer’ mode. Samsung has also simplified the EXIF data preview.
Improvements to video recording include the following:
– Added “Pro” mode in movie quality and increased the bit rates for movie size and quality (up to 70Mbps); Movie Recording Time has been changed to 25 minutes at FHD 60p/50p.
– Larger sensor read out data size with improved FHD quality up to 60p.
– Remains in Stand By mode after recording.
– A 1280 x 720 (120p) setting has been included in the Movie Size Menu for easy access; Sound recording is available.
– The camera can capture individual 4K frames forwards and backwards with precision with embedded EXIF data in the JPEG files.
– Added NEW MF Responsiveness mode that can be set to Low, Medium, High focus angle in manual focus mode.
The new firmware is available as a free download on Samsung’s Australian website. Visit http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/EV-NX500ZBMIAU. Instructions are provided for downloading the i-Launcher program and installing Firmware v. 1.10.