It isn’t often we ask our Photo Challengers to minimise the detail of their chosen subject to the greatest extent possible. But of course that’s just exactly what a silhouette is: a solid, featureless (usually pure black) shape that is nevertheless easily recognisable…
The goal here is to capture a silhouette in-camera by choosing a composition in which the background is far brighter than the subject(s).
Since your camera’s autoexposure system will try to deliver a ‘properly’ exposed picture in which some subject detail is preserved, you’ll want to use manual mode ““ if you’re not already doing so as a matter of course.
We’re not after underexposed pictures, so a quick check of the histogram should show the dark values piled up to the left of the display while the distribution of mid and high values are more or less unaffected.
The prize for this challenge is a Think Tank Retrospective ® Leather 5 ““ Pinestone bag
It’s a small, stylish shoulder bag with space for a CSC or DSLR camera, up to 3 lenses and an 8″ tablet. RRP $375.
Please review the rules and email your entries to photochallenge[at]photoreview.com.au
Deadline for entries is 28 November, 2017 and the winning pictures will be published in our Mar-May 2018 issue of Photo Review Magazine.
Here are the rules:
To enter the challenge all you have to do is send us your best image (we’ll consider up to three images per photographer).
1) Entries should only be new images that have been taken in response to the set challenge.
2) This isn’t a photo manipulation contest, so minimal post-capture processing is a given. Sharpening, colour correction and so forth are fine, but adding extra layers isn’t.
3) Supply images as jpegs at minimum 200mm on the longest side, at 300 DPI.
4) Submit all images to photochallenge[at]photoreview.com.au
5) Please put your caption(s) in the File Info (metadata area) of your image(s), or with the accompanying message. When saving your images, please change the file name so that it incorporates your first initial and last name and the challenge you’re entering (eg, jsmith_chall_ref-lights.jpg).
6) All photographers retain copyright to their submitted image(s). Photo Review may publish submitted image(s) in the magazine, mag app, and website.