COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED.
Sorry, this competition is now complete, but you can try Image Review 3.
Second Winner for Image Review 2:
Cable Beach by John Porter
Nikon D300; Tokina 75-300mm lens; f/4.5-5.6 zoom; f/14; 1/320; ISO250
Taken mid afternoon on Cable Beach, Broome, November 2011 on a road trip to W.A. What took my interest in this scene was that every individual was enjoying what was on offer in their own way.
At first glance this might appear to be a picture of nothing, but you only have to gaze at it for a second or two to realise there’s really quite a lot going on.
Although they’re just people randomly scattered across the beach, John Porter has captured the activity at just the right moment. Chances are when you started to examine this picture, you found your eye tracing a gentle clockwise circle from the figures with their elongated shadows on the right, through the man taking a picture in the foreground, to the couple leaving stage left, and ultimately on to the most distant swimmers in the top right corner.
The longer you look at this picture, the more you see going on and that is high praise for any image.
Simply submit up to three of your favourite images to our Image Review section in Photo Review magazine and Mag App, where editor Don Norris selects photos submitted by readers and gives a brief but considered response to each image. The aim is to provide feedback, ideas and tips to improve your photography.
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Single Lens Kit -> 2 to be won!
– Award winning 16 megapixel LiveMOS sensor
– Large High Resolution Digital Viewfinder
– 3 Axis Image Stabilisation for Clear Photos
– Flagship TruePic VII Advanced Image Processor
– 8 frames per second sequential shooting rate
To find out more visit the Olympus website.
How to Enter
Send up to three of your images to imagereview[at]photoreview.com.au
– attach jpeg(s) at minimum 200mm on the longest side, at 300 DPI
– your name and image name in each jpeg file name, eg: John-Smith_Opera-House.jpeg
– camera/lens used
– image description/comments
Editor Don Norris will select his favourite submitted image for each period: 4th February to 30th April 2014, and 1st May to 31st July 2014.
See competition terms and conditions below.
First Winner for Image Review 2:
Deluge by Gary Wallis
Olympus OMD EMS; 14-150mm at 25mm; f/4.7 at 1/60s; ISO 320
South Bank, Melbourne on a rainy day as people were heading home from work.
Gary’s choice of monochrome for this image is pitch perfect for the subject.
The car-free street, popping with rain drops, the logo-less umbrella and even the central figure’s non-descript attire all combine to make a picture that might have been taken at any point in the last hundred years. The timeless quality gives it, for me at any rate, a pleasant sort of cosy quality.
It’s so easy to imagine the next moment in the story. Maybe he’s just about to make the foggy-windowed and crowded homeward tram or maybe the doors of his local, already buzzing with an after work crowd”¦ any picture that instantly makes stories blossom in your mind like this one does is something special.
Image Review Competition Terms and Conditions
1. Offer starts 4th February 2014 and ends 31st July 2014. Send your image to imagereview[at]photoreview.com.au. Attach jpeg(s) at minimum 200mm on the longest side, at 300 DPI, your name and image name in each jpeg file name, eg: John-Smith_Opera-House.jpeg, plus camera/lens used and image description/comments
2. Winning entries will be selected on 2nd May 2013 and 1st August 2014. Editor Don Norris will select his favourite submitted image for each period 4th February to 30th April 2014, and 1st May to 31st July 2014.
3. Each winner will be notified via email within 7 days and their name published on www.photoreview.com.au. Failure to acknowledge Photo Review’s notification within seventy-two (72) hours may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
4. Employees of Media Publishing and their immediate families are ineligible to enter.
5. Each prize is valued at $AU999.00.
6. Media Publishing accepts no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries.
7. Limited to three entries per person.
8. All photographers retain copyright to their submitted image. Photo Review retains the right to publish submitted image in the magazine, mag app and on www.photoreview.com.au.